Thursday, October 17, 2013

Competition update and more!

                             What a trip this is!!!

      Doing a competition isn't for everyone thats for sure! It's amazing how hard you have to work, not just physically but mentally and emotionally. Everything matters when your in training! From your rest, to what you drink, eat, how you workout out, how you have to plan your day, your weeks your vacations your meal prep, how your hair looks, the condition of your hair, nails, skin, the jewelry you are going to wear, the suit, the suit color, bling, no bling, shoes, tan.....list can go on and on and on. This is why its important to pic a show that will give you enough time to do everything you need to do and have time left over! Don't just hope and pray its all put together by the date. You want to bring an amazing package to your show weather it be your 1st like me or your 15th! Get your body right, your nutrition perfect, the beauty aspect down to the last detail and find someone who will coach you and be healthy Team Staggs Fitness, but MOST important get your MIND right! Your mental state and the reason your competing is almost more important then the competition itself in my opinion. If your doing this just for a title and don't enjoy the prep and journey then I feel if you have the victory it wont be as sweet. 

      When I initially wanted to compete last yr I was sooooo excited to do it with someone I love. Chris and I were going to train together, encourage one another and see where the rd. took us. Well baby happened and I had to out that adventure on hold. Chris however continued his training and I watched him transform into not only a more handsome man with an amazing physique but a person with a passion for fitness like he has never had before and a purpose for our life to be the most healthy couple we could be! Since his 1st place victory and our new addition he has continued to grow in his knowledge and understand how important it is to have a plan to reach your goals. Without a plan you will fail at some point. What I have taken away from this is, now have an understanding of why it is that I want to compete. I want the hard work, I want the journey that everyone isn't willing to take, I want to always continue to build my body to be the healthiest it will can can be and I want what I do to help everyone I can touch! I want to show you that anything is possible when you have dedication, heart and support. Funny how your all the reason why I want to do this. I don't care about the win (ill be happy to take it if it ever happens lol) but I'm in it to inspire you, me and my little family that I have! I want to help people like I have been helped and pay it forward.

      Where does the physical, mental and emotional part come in you may ask.....dear lord its in every part of my day! So, Let me focus on the mental and emotional aspect here because I feel that is most important, then ill move on. Competition prep demands a lot of your attention, time, money and energy. If your in the wrong mindset it can effect your family time and relationships with them and friends (again y its important to know why your doing this and keep that in mind). Not everyone will understand and not everyone will support you. Some may say you shouldn't do it or cant do it and will wear your spirits. Your body may not change the way you want it to, it may take longer to prep then you had hoped, the time you take everyday to make your dreams happen, the everyday family/work life "gets in the way". You as a competitor need to take the steps each day to say to yourself, I CAN do this, people will see in the end, the planning will be worth it, my family will see how healthy I am, my body IS changing slowly but surly and keep that focus! Its easier to give up then to work for it and you have to choose what your going to do everyday you commit to that prep! FOOD is a huge part of this process and so many people are emotional eaters. Everyday life, problems your having, work stress...what ever it is and you fall off the wagon because its easier to drink a beer and relax then it is to go get in your last gym session and that last meal at 10pm or the pizza your husband or wife is having with your group of friends looks great and they say "its ok, one slice wont kill ya"...again u have given in, fallen off the wagon and are not focused. This is by far the HARDEST aspect of training because that meal you just ate with your friends may have set you back. Unless your coach advises you to do so always keep on track! You have to prep your meals for success. You will be able to drink again, you will be able to have pizza again, you will be able to have a snack of what ever it is that you love again...you just have to want your goals more then the quick satisfaction of that food. Who knows, during your prep you may realize there are many things you can live without! I don't really crave junk, however i do miss wine, some fruits  and cheese!!!! When this is all done ill have and enjoy that here and there again but it wont be an every part of my day because as i said earlier, I want to show you this is possible and you all keep me motivated so I'm going to continue to grow my body and knowledge. To do so I will have to learn that that there are things I'll have to do to make that happen. I have missed out on every summer BBQ, wine nights, hot cocoa nights with chris (which I love!), dinner with family and friends, my birthday and halloween will once again come and pass and I'll not be able to do the things I normally would. All this well worth giving up at this moment because I'm so focused that its easy to say no. Disappointing....yes of course but saying no and knowing I'm doing it for a reason feels so good.

      Physically, dear lord does my body hurt. My muscles are so tight I could have a massage everyday and still be sore. I lift (heavy) 4 days a week, plyo 2 days a week and HIIT Cardio 7 days a week. Now I didn't start off like that its been gradual changes since June. I'm in the gym doing 2 a days or back to back workout sessions everyday except fridays when I just do 20min HIIT. I welcome fridays not because its the weekend but because my body gets a small break from all the abuse I make it endure! So besides ALL of that I play with Mr. Booty ( for those of you who don't know thats what I call Tesla our little boy) everyday, Prep and plan for the next day, laundry, yard work, cleaning blah blah blah....all normal everyday things. Im GO GO GO till 8 or 9 PM and by then Im already 3 hrs past when I think should be my bed time. It's like this for months!

      When all is said and done, when the fake tan wears off, my bikini is washed and hung, the jewels are put away, the stress of prep is gone, life is back to "normal", training is reduced and I can sit and relax I'll know I'll be so grateful to have done this! To know I could resist temptation, I said no (many time's might I add), I gave my heart, my mind, my body and my time to something and became a better person for it....I'll take a small break and get right back to it because I will continue to grow not only for my sake but for Chris, Tesla and for all of you!




2 comments:

  1. You ARE so inspiring!!! Love your blog and I hope to learn a lot I can apply to my own life. I said when I turned 40 I would compete...I have 9 months til I turn 40 and still a LOT of fat to lose (like 80 or 90 lbs!!). It hasn't happened as fast as I would like so it may be closer to 41 before I compete but I am already lifting heavy and building muscle underneath! Added lots of HIIT in to shed this fat....Im on the road with a HUGE goal in mind and I appreciate your insight! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith, Im so Excited for you to achieve your goals! Its an amazing experience to work towards something that takes so much work and dedication! Wishing you the best on your journey! Thank you for your kind words!!!

    ReplyDelete